Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Environment / times of sightings ?? Reply To: Environment / times of sightings ??

Nic

Hi Wildlifehaven

I live not far from a main road and a railway line. I think some of the hedgehogs either live, or visit the edge of the railway. There is a little hole under the railway fence right opposite my garden – made by the hogs, I suspect. At least one of the hogs, last year, came from across the smaller, nearer road.

The hedgehogs were visiting before I started putting food out. I decided to offer them some supplementary food and more came. Except for this time of year when there are possibly still hedgehogs returning, hungry, from hibernation, I don’t normally leave any food out over night. Only when I am up to watch them. (Partly to make sure it is only hogs getting the food – apart from the odd woodmouse). It might be encouraging them to arrive earlier – can’t be sure. Even, now, as I have discovered from the nightcam – new this year – not very clear, but you can see there are hogs there – the food doesn’t last long.

At the moment the first hog is arriving at about 8.50. She is a female who has been visiting for a long time and keeps pretty good time!

The night cam shows that hogs are still visiting the garden a long time after all the food has gone. That is how it should be. Hopefully they are finding wild food here as well. Regarding the habitat part – you can make your garden a better habitat. I know there are still improvements I can make (from the hog point of view). They can apparently travel 1 – 2 kilometres a night and have quite a big ‘range’ that is why it is so important to link the habitats/gardens.

You are lucky having newts. I had a frog in my ponds last year – I have 3 ponds in tubs, one buried (all with beaches/steps up the side to allow hogs and birds to safely get out). He – I’m guessing maybe he was a he – sadly no frogspawn this year – would turn up in one or other of the ponds but never more than one at a time, so, might be wrong, but I think he was only one. (Haven’t started identifying frogs!! – yet?!) He had the disconcerting habit of suddenly landing on my foot when I didn’t even realise he was about.

Hedgehog