Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings New Hogs in the Street :) Reply To: New Hogs in the Street :)

Nic

Hi Hettie

Just a word of caution about dried mealworms. Hedgehogs do love them, but they have low nutritional value and should really only be offered as a snack or as an addition to some other food. The hogs can apparently become a bit addicted to them, especially the hoglets – when they are around – and refuse to eat anything else, which is not good for them. Think of them as like crisps for humans.

Try offering them some hedgehog food, or cat or dog food, meat varieties, not fish, or kitten biscuits. You can get some hog foods which are less appealing to cats, etc. And of course lots of water. They do drink a lot, especially if they have been eating dry food and water is not always easy for them to find. Once you have one hog visiting, you will often get others. I always think they must follow each others trails, to see what everyone else has been up to!

You will find from the forum that people have come up with all sorts of ingenious devices to keep cats/foxes from the hog food. Some more successful than others!

Cheruk. I add well dones to Hetties’ for managing to stop for the hedgehog. If there is one around, it is very likely that there will be more. If you want to feed the hogs, try some of the suggestions which I have made to Hettie, above.

Of course, the best thing we can all do for the hedgehogs is to try to make our gardens better habitats for them, as well as linking them, so that they can find natural food. There are lots of tips on this site.

Happy Hedgehog watching, both.

Hedgehog