Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Would like to hear from other hedgehog champions! Reply To: Would like to hear from other hedgehog champions!

Nic

Hi Suzynic

Good to hear you have a hedgehog visiting again this year.

It seems it is not as easy as it sounds encouraging people to get together for the benefit of hedgehogs. I put up notices and had a notice put in the local newsletter with email address but have only had two responses. Whilst two is better than none, I was hoping for a few more. We can only do our best!

MikeDF

It was interesting to hear your hedgehog experiences, but I would just mention that dried mealworms should only really be fed to hedgehogs in small amounts – as a snack, or garnish to hedgehog food or cat food. They do not have sufficient nutritional value for hedgehogs. Think of them like crisps or chocolate for humans. Apparently hedgehogs, especially hoglets, can become a bit addicted to them and eat them in preference to things which are better for them. Also, see under ‘What to feed hedgehogs’ re. the CaP ratio. Try either hedgehog food, or cat or dog food either wet food (preferably not in gravy) and or kitten biscuits – but not fish flavour.

By the way, how did you get your photo on here?

Hedgehog