Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Nic

Hi Annie

Really pleased to hear you have lots of hogs visiting now. I expect now you have a few you will get even more.

Glad you mentioned Frank – I had been wondering how he was. I can just picture him jumping over the hogs! Has he got a house to himself now?

They do seem to waste a huge amount of time on those courtship ‘dances’! And many of them come to nothing, as it sounds as if that one did. The ladies are not averse to giving the boys a gentle biff now and then. I sometimes think they must be thinking ‘leave me in peace for a while – I want to get some food’. The boys seem to be very clever at making themselves look bigger than they are during those dances. They seem to be able to make themselves taller and thinner somehow – more impressive looking from the side. Males and females sometimes use the spikes forward trick to keep other hogs away from their food bowl too.

It must be handy having the camera running off the mains. Saves a lot of time changing batteries, but as you say, the battery ones are handy for putting in different places round the garden.

I wasn’t able to watch the hogs much last night, but Digger featured a lot on the cam. She is really obvious on it as her face is so dark and also her skirt. Unfortunately when I put the remains of the food in the hog box I turned off the camera – didn’t really want to see myself on it! – and forgot to turn it on for the rest of the night. No sign of the other two yet. I keep thinking about putting the camera out the front one night, but haven’t yet.

Hedgehog