Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat National Hedgehog Week Reply To: National Hedgehog Week

Nic

It is debatable whether badgers have any better PR than farmers. To my mind, it should not be a question of Badgers versus Farmers in any event. The Science should speak for itself – if it is impartial. All of us want the truth, but sadly that is often clouded by emotion. There are all sorts of horror stories, out there, about all sorts of animals – including hedgehogs.

However, this is a forum about hedgehogs not about politics.

Although it may not be common, some foxes have learnt to wait until the hedgehog unrolls and then they are able to attack the soft part of the hedgehog and kill it. Hedgehogs are, of course, not always adult. Dogs also kill hedgehogs, including adult hedgehogs, and I repeat, hedgehogs’ main enemy is probably, humans, as is probably the case with most wildlife.

The following is a quote from http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/hedgehogs.html#food

‘Red foxes (Vulpes vulpes) are widely reputed to catch and kill hedgehogs, although it is not known how common this behaviour is (see Q/A). Other species known to take various life-stages of hedgehogs when the opportunity arises include tawny owls (Strix aluco), brown rats (Rattus norvegicus), wild boar (Sus scrofa), magpies (Pica pica), weak birds (Gallirallus australis – in New Zealand), otters (Lutra lutra) and various species of small mustelid, including pine martens (Martes martes), polecats (Mustela putorius), mink (M. vison), stoats (M. erminea) and weasels (M. nivalis).’

Hedgehog