Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat What to feed hedgehogs Reply To: What to feed hedgehogs

Nic

Hi Annie

Yes, I agree, it is quite worrying that even some comparatively recently produced publications still give out this sort of information. Although, having said that, hedgehogs may be partial to milk, but, even the best of us probably are partial to things which are not good for us. We are capable of making an informed choice – to hedgehogs it is probably just food, so they would probably drink it if offered. Likewise, I come across people who still think bread and milk are an ok thing to give to hogs. There is still work to do before the general public know that hedgehogs are lactose intolerant.

Glad to hear the hogs there are enjoying the feast you are providing. I think it is ok to give a few mealworms, although, I must admit, when I first found out about it, I thought I would cut them out completely. Now I tend to give them a very small ‘garnish’ of mealworms with their meal. I will probably cut this out when hoglet time arrives.

Hedgehog