Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings It's like Springwatch live ! Reply To: It's like Springwatch live !

Wow Nina, you are so lucky to have bats and lizards. Very interested in your bat box, is it in a tree? We used to have lots of bats years ago, but I suspect that they lived in nearby barns which have long since been turned into houses. We still get a few and have often thought about installing a bat box.

The birds are very busy here too raising their young; thankfully I can now get to the bins without being dive bombed by over protective blackbirds! Last year I managed to get some really good photos of the baby robins and blackbirds, but this year they are keeping them very well hidden. We had a problem with sparrow hawks last year so they are probably being extra vigilant.

I could never understand why my coir basket liners never lasted very long and always finished up in shreds, until I noticed the birds raiding them for their nests. So this year I collected some horse hair from a local stables and filled a large fat ball feeder with it. In no time at all the birds have emptied its contents and my basket liners are still very much intact.

The neighbourhood cats have switched their attentions from the feeding stations and instead have been busy trying to dig their way into wood mouse headquarters. Our next door neighbours have a new kitten which finds the ever expanding hole in the lawn particularly amusing. I have got visions of me one day filling up the bird feeders only to disappear into a large sink hole beneath my feet!

Oh, and the hedgehogs have been very bust too; looking forward to the pitter patter if tiny feet very soon… 🙂

Hedgehog