Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Marking Hedgehogs? Reply To: Marking Hedgehogs?

Thanks for the welcome Nic. Great points, and I think I’ll make sketch notes. I do baulk at chemicalising them (I’d much rather just respectfully appreciate, nurture and enhance their welfare), but am keen to add to the bigger recording picture to gain better assessment of numbers, types and behaviours. I’m actually trying to type with frozen fingers, having been outside making mini-vids of the hogs. Yes, there are at least two. Very noticeable this evening was a hog with a more elongated body and very short spines (feel a bit concerned as I don’t know if that’s normal, bit of an all-over crew cut). It’s also not as pretty as usual hog and doesn’t follow the same route out of the cafe, and seemed a little human-shy. I thought it came back for seconds as I heard more rustling so put a few more biscuits down, but I’m sure this hog had longer spines and quite distinct ‘eyebrows’. I waited for it to come out but it came to the entrance, sniffed around a bit then reversed and, I assume, is having water and a siesta. Lol it got too cold for me so I came in. Now I can’t download the video clips .. aarrrgh.

Hedgehog