Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hogs vs Cats Reply To: Hogs vs Cats

Nic

Hi Wobblez

The cats can be a pest! If you feed cat food, and there are cats around, they are bound to try to get at it. I was hoping a cat would turn up last night, because there was a rat, being equally annoying. Where are all the cats when you want them!

There are some hedgehog foods which cats are not supposed to be interested in. I use ‘I Love Hedgehogs’ and most, but not all cats ignore it – unless, of course I offer some kitten biscuits as well, which I sometimes do. There are other sorts of hog foods available, if you look on the internet.

I don’t think cats would put the hogs off coming into the garden – although I suppose they would be less interested if they never get any of the food! Be wary, though, of giving them too many mealworms, nuts, etc. as they do not have a good Calcium to Phosphorous ratio. (see discussion on the forum under ‘what to feed hedgehogs’).

There are people on the forum who have come up with all sorts of ingenious ways of keeping cats out of their feeding stations. Hopefully, some of them will answer too.

Hedgehog