Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

Well done with the injured hog, must have been painful for him.

Our camera has decided to play up & by the morning has not only stopped recording but won’t let us replay anything that was on it. Last night must have been an epic one for numbers of hogs & also size as the garden is awash with poo, some of it very large!

We watched the pair who did the dance a few nights ago do it again last night & I think I’ll have to stay up for longer tonight & watch it live on camera or sit out the back & watch them in the flesh as it’s so disappointing finding nothing on video. The dance continued all round the garden in the borders, the flowers were shaking all over the place then they came back for food & appeared to share the dish under the cat house.

I’ve put solar lights in the border here & there so it’s a bit easier to see them in the dark, I’ve taken on board your suggestion re markings etc. It’s an infrared camera so everything’s black & white. The whopping big one we’ve called Sherman (as in the tank) & I think it might have been his massive poo last night. Then there’s poor Scratchy who comes some nights, must have a lot of fleas or ticks, a fair sized hog too.

Last night Frank came home while the dancers were feeding separately & sat to watch them & suddenly one of them raced towards where he was sitting, he leapt away & turned at the same time, landing with his foot in the water. He walked away with a flick of his wet foot with as much dignity as he could & tried to pretend nothing had happened!

Never seen a rat here, hope yours has gone elsewhere though they do say you’re never far from a rat. Saw a baby wild rabbit a few years ago early morning in the bushes but never before or since. A frog was using our frog solar fountain to cool off a couple of years ago but haven’t seen another since. Bees & others are visiting the flowers which are growing quickly now & getting quite tall, whole garden is made to attract insects & is obviously being successful. We badly need rain though, everything is very dry again. How’s your garden?

Hedgehog