Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings The Return of the Hogs Reply To: The Return of the Hogs

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your reply. Although I did have 2 hogs visiting during April/May last year looking at my own notes it wasn’t really until the start of June that i had a profusion of hogs turn up so here’s hoping!

I think the one i have visiting is a male and, picking up on your point about dashing off, i was watching it and suddenly the snout went in the air, had a good sniff and it shot off like a bullet (it never ceases to amaze me how fast they can move when they want too). I didn’t see any threat turn up so I hoped it was a lady hog that got its attention but I didn’t see it after that until the next night and it wasn’t letting on about what happened!

As for food I have bought Wild Things hedgehog food (apparently made for happier hogs to give them a balanced diet) which is a poultry based nugget with dried fruit and nuts as well as vitamin additives which the hog munches on quite happily and seems to love them.

I see some people put out fresh banana for their hogs. i have never tried this but do you know if is this is a good food for hogs and is it worth giving it a go?

If I (hopefully) see hoglets later in the year I will stop the mealworm supplement. I do see the hog snuffling under my bird feeders (as well as a wood mouse which gets surprisingly close to the hog) which contain sunflower hearts, as the birds often drop them on the floor, but I doubt there are enough to get to worried about and it would be hard to try and pick them up before each dusk anyway.

Hedgehog