Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hogs vs Cats Reply To: Hogs vs Cats

I have the water trays in front of the feeding station the hedgehogs use them as a bath / drinking bowl – it has deterred some cats but not all.

The saucers I have tried but unfortunately I have 1 feline visitor with half a brain and knows to knock it off grrr.

We have 3 cats (not mine) coming in our garden and the hogs don’t care. When feeding sometimes a cat will feed from a bowl whilst a hog feeds from another, sometimes they just sit and watch the hogs feeding.

Cats are creatures of habit so need re-educating if possible. They hate water being flicked at them so a child’s water pistol not a super blaster type just a little one. The smallest amount of water lands on a cat and they usually hate it (incl. mine they do like watching running water, drinking it just not it touching them!). If you do it during the daytime it may /may not help.

A lot of us have cats in the garden and it’s a case of trial and error to see what works best.

We had a problem with the cats grabbing the birds of the feeders, we use hanging baskets now which work brilliantly,

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/2542/1778.hanging-basket-bird-haven.jpg

Hedgehog