Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings The Return of the Hogs Reply To: The Return of the Hogs

My orchard this year has suddenly become alive with hedgehogs but that may be that I am becoming more observant of their habits. I have a patch of land that I have allowed to become quite wild,long grass, brambles woodpiles and nettles and a few pine trees. Monday night I saw 5 hedgehogs in various parts of the garden and orchard,Wednesday and Thursday I only saw one but was intrigued by some prolonged sniffing under one of the low conifers. Tonight i found the answer to the sniff. Two hedghogs were easy to observe under some conifers with no low branches. The two were circling each other and neither looked like they wanted to leave. Was this a courtship ritual? I observed them for about twenty minutes and tried to record them but unfortunately it was too dark for my camera to pick up. Whilst I was watching these two another hog came ambling past behind me but showed no interest in the sniffing pair. Has anyone else observed this behaviour ?

Hedgehog