Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings The Return of the Hogs Reply To: The Return of the Hogs

My patio is turning in to a gladiatorial arena for hogs and it ism’t making for pleasant viewing! I have a small male that is getting some rough treatment from a larger male and an even larger male. The small male and large male where having an altercation last night when the larger male turned up and I can only say this male then proceeded to undertake acts of GBH to both the other hogs which us humans would probably got to prison for! The smaller male rolled up pretty quickly, he was sensible, but the large male was up for the challenge but took a real beating before it also rolled up. The larger male then proceeded to head butt my water bowl across the patio – this guy is seriously pumped up – I think he needs lady in his life!

It seems I’m watching something more akin to the red deer rut you see on Autumnwatch but I believe they do call it the rut as well for hoggies.

Anyway once the aggressor had left the scene of the crime the small hog unrolled pretty quickly and walked off seemingly unharmed but the large male stayed rolled up for a long time and when he did unroll he stayed stationery for ages.

As I was worried about him I stayed up very late to observe him to make sure he was ok but he then started moving around and eating what food he could find before he eventually toddled off. He certainly looked shaken but there were no oblivious injuries I could see but he was moving slower than he normally does so I will check him again if he comes tonight,

I don’t believe in intervention in nature, other than as a last resort, but if the big hog turns up while the others are there I might just open the door which might stop him in his tracks or alternatively I will also get a severe head butting!

It would be nice to see some courtship dancing for a change, which I saw last year, but for the record I have still yet to see a female hog this year.

Hedgehog