Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings They like playing with their food bowl cover Reply To: They like playing with their food bowl cover

jan

Ralph our resident hedgehog has been again this evening, he visits around nine twenty to half past each night. We have had rain so it is much harder to see with the ground so dark giving little light contrast. Which cameras do you all use, ours is quite good but the images are small so it is difficult to differentiate between our visitors. We do have a slightly smaller one visit, and we thought there was a juvenile the other night. Ralph is always the first out, and most nights seems to be the only one, he has taken residence up in the new hog house I got him. Is there a way to be able to tell males and females apart other than physically checking do you know? I love reading all the posts and feel so blessed having these lovely visitors. I’m going to get an second hog house just in case, and set up a second feeding station. I used to line the station with newspaper and one morning woke to find it spread all over the garden, checking the camera we discovered its our very cheeky Magpie who tugs the paper out of the box along with the food dish clearing up after Ralph’s final visit! The starlings have also cottoned on and brazenly go into the box two or three at a time! To help with visibility I now put sheets of white copy paper into the box, makes the contrast much clearer on damp nights, and the Magpie has to plan his strategy a bit more!

Hedgehog