Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Annie & Nic,

Sorry to hear about the injured hog Nic, I hope it’s ok, our local rescue has already had a few in with horrific injuries from strimmers. I get so I can’t bear the sound of the dam things. Someone was strimming the footpath that runs along the back of our house the other day; I went out after to check that there wear no casualties and thankfully there weren’t. We have now put a hole in the gate that leads to the footpath after our new neighbours inadvertently blocked one up. I have had a camera trained on the new access for the last four nights, but up to now only the wood mice have made use of it. It seems that the hedgehogs don’t use the footpath as much as I thought they did which is a relief.

Our blackbirds have been very busy too; Sven has been tirelessly raising his young and has kept them very well hidden. One of the blackbirds turned up with a small frog in its mouth last night, at first I was horrified, but then realised that it was quite crispy so had obviously been dead for a while. He seemed to be quite chuffed with himself and sat on the roof waving it around for a while, I don’t think he knew what to do with it, it was a bit of a mouthful!

Hedgehog