Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings What To Feed Hedgehogs & The Danger Of Too Many Mealworms! Reply To: What To Feed Hedgehogs & The Danger Of Too Many Mealworms!

I know that hedgehogs are partial to a few mealworms, but recent events have shown just how addicted they are. I only ever put around half a dozen on top of their cat biscuits; my theory is that if there is a chance of a mealworm the hedgehogs will still keep coming and then eat the nutritious biscuits as well.

We recently made a new hedgehog hole in a gate which backs onto a footpath and in order to let the hogs know that is was there sprinkled a few mealworms around it. The first night one lucky hog discovered them and scoffed the lot. Up until that point the hogs didn’t usually start to arrive until around 10.30pm. The following evening the same hog was there looking for them at 9.00pm before I had even put any out! Since then more hogs have been arriving early and last night three hogs were spotted on camera looking for the extra mealworms. A reliable camera has been trained on the new access hole and as yet no hedgehogs have used it, they are all making their way to the far corner of the garden past four dishes of cat biscuits and back just to find the extra mealworms!

Hedgehog