Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Nic

Hi Annie and Penny

Thanks for your kind words re. the poor hog. I rang this morning but could not find anything out – Bank Holiday! I don’t hold out much hope after being told more than once that the poor chap would almost certainly have to be put down. They didn’t even bother to take my details. I was trying to look on BHPS site to see if they had a poster re. strimming I could put up, but could only find the info. re. labels to stick on the machines, etc.

Not long ago I contacted Willows Hedgehog Rescue who were running a National Strimmer Awareness Campaign – I don’t think BHPS had started doing it then – suggesting that they might contact Network Rail, because they use strimmers etc. clearing the lineside, where I imagine no end of hedgehogs (including some of my hog visitors) live or spend time. Last time I heard, they had made some really good progress re. information about wildlife, training for staff, etc. Amazing what a comparatively small organization can achieve. Hopefully the nation’s lineside hogs will be safer as a result.

Crispy frog – sounds like some bizarre sort of delicacy for blackbirds! They do look funny when they appear to have taken on something a bit too big for them.

When I had a cat, years ago, he used to bring all sorts of live mice type things into the house (although I don’t recall any frogs). In the end I put another cat flat on the door from the kitchen into the rest of the house and had it on out only, so any poor unfortunate creatures were confined to the kitchen. I wasn’t taking into account, though, the particularly intelligent cat I had, who managed to find a way to open the cat flap with one of his claws, then use the other paw to lift it up so he could duck his head down and get through. He had it down to a fine art in the end.

The Burmese cat sounds hilarious. Shame someone didn’t get that on film!

Hedgehog