Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings What To Feed Hedgehogs & The Danger Of Too Many Mealworms! Reply To: What To Feed Hedgehogs & The Danger Of Too Many Mealworms!

Nic

Both. It is to do with the Calcium Phosphorous ratio. Please read the article above. Added to that, hedgehogs, and more so, the hoglets, can apparently get a bit addicted to them and not want to eat anything else. This would just compound the problem. A few included with a balanced diet are probably ok, but presenting large quantities of, only, mealworms to hedgehogs is not good news for them. Perhaps one of the very best things we can do for hedgehogs is to try to improve their habitat for them so they can find their own wild food. This would consist of a variety of things.

I know there has been some publicity recently about mealworms or insects generally as a source of protein for humans, but I don’t think anyone is suggesting that humans should eat them to the exclusion of anything else. Before you say it, I know what we provide is only supposed to be supplementary feeding for hedgehogs, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t make it as nutritionally good for them as we can.

Hedgehog