Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

At last now you know for sure little hog is out of pain & you did all you could for him.

I sometimes think it would be better if hedgehogs lived miles away from humans as our lifestyles are so dangerous to them. It’s a very double edged sword with the benefits of food & then the horrifying things that they’re too innocent to understand or avoid that humans seem to need these days.

Lizards running up the curtains would be different! Your cat was one of the devious little so & so’s of the cat world, a friend had a cat who learned to operate the catch & slide the (old) patio door open! As he was a house cat it was a bit shocking to them when he first did it to see him go past the window, then they took measures to stop him as he was also letting out their other house cat.

The last few days have suddenly been almost hog free, no mountains of poo to clear up in the mornings & on camera only our regular little lady & occasional visits from her unwanted suitor. Even leaving some of the food so must be plenty of natural stuff available for them & maybe busy with babies too, who knows. Hopefully that’s what Digger, Magic & your regular older hogs are up to.

Wings is not too bad as a name, rather angelic actually. Our little lady hasn’t got a name yet either, I tend to think of her as Patch as she has a light patch on her left side over her hip. Harriet had one too & a bit of me still thinks it’s her, I’ll never know of course but she’s very welcome whoever she is. Also there’s a clear line at the bottom of her back where spines become fur which is very light all the way across, very recognisable with the patch as well.

A friend recently said she’d read hedgehogs were evolving & learning to cross roads, not having seen more then one in a long time on the road I prefer to think this is correct. Stranger things have been known to happen.

Hope you’re feeling a bit better & also that your hogs have returned to normal.

Hedgehog