Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat A Sad Day For Hedgehogs Reply To: A Sad Day For Hedgehogs

Nic

Hi Penny

I hope Simba is ok too. It is always a bit sad when a new hog takes over. I haven’t seen the boss hog here for quite a while. It is just possible that he was the poor chap who got strimmed – it was difficult to tell. I don’t think I have seen him since. There are two others it might have been, who I haven’t seen either, but he used to visit more often. There is no obvious top hog now. One night it is one and one another, they don’t all visit every night. One of the ones who throws his weight around a lot, I always thought might have been old boss hog’s brother – they looked very alike. The other is the formerly gentle giant! Then there is Rascal who beats up one of last year’s hoglets but runs away if he hears any big boys arriving!

I always think, similar to you, but in reverse, that the girls turn up early here if they (hopefully) have hoglets, to try to avoid the boys, who tend to arrive a bit later. But my diner is not ‘all night’ and I think they have got to know that and realise there is no point turning up really late, unless they only want a drink!

I made the mistake of leaving a tiny bit of food out last night – forgot about the cat – hadn’t seen one for a while – and you can guess who I saw there when I looked out the window. I had made the mistake of putting a few kitten biscuits in the hog food, which is probably what attracted it! Bad move, as the cat’s don’t normally eat the hog food on it’s own. I have, though, got a little robin who’s caught on to the fact that there is new food put out late and he/she usually comes and tucks in before the hogs arrive.

Hedgehog