Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat A Sad Day For Hedgehogs Reply To: A Sad Day For Hedgehogs

So sorry about the ‘Boss’ hog Nic, any sign of him yet? I know that they are wild animals and we shouldn’t become too attached to them, especially when their lives are so precarious, but when they visit on a regular basis and you become familiar with them, it’s very difficult not to. I try and avoid giving them names for that reason, but there are a few at the moment that are very recognisable. We now have three large males patrolling the garden. The interloper with the paint job and top of the pile, I have now established is Arnie, closely followed by Simba and then there’s Boris. Boris is torpedo shaped with very short fur and spines; he’s very similar looking to Tippy Toe so I suspect that he is the father. Tippy Toe also has a brother (as yet unnamed) who is the spitting image, but with one obvious difference. Poor old Boris just rolls up and takes the punishment from the father and son duo, but he doesn’t give in and seems to hang around for most of the evening in the hope of some female company.

The pale coloured lady, who I have named blondie, is still visiting at around 7.00 am, so I am more convinced than ever that she has hoglets tucked away somewhere. Simba on the other hand keeps turning up early just before dusk. I was serving up their dinner the other evening when I heard footsteps on the path; I turned around expecting to see a cat, only to find Simba doing a runner back through the hedgehog hole. Luckily I had set up a camera just in time…:-)

https://flic.kr/p/VJ6kwq

Hedgehog