Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Difference between a male and female hedgehog? Reply To: Difference between a male and female hedgehog?

Nic

Hi HedgehogHappy

Not sure I have got this right. I think you mean H1 is biffing Big H, which would make me think they might both be males. It is normally the female who huffs, which makes me think that H2 might be a female. H1, who it sounds as if, is the more dominant male might not biff H2 because she is a female, but she may be a youngster so that he is not really interested in her.

There is no guarantee about any of that though. Here, females will, occasionally give other hogs a biff. But that would be my guess if I am reading what you said right. You cannot tell the difference by size. Some of the males can be smaller than some of the females.

There is a description of the difference between males and females on
http://www.hedgehog-rescue.org.uk/sexing.php. Sometimes you can tell when they scratch.

Hope that hasn’t just muddied the waters even more! Hope you are enjoying their antics – sounds as if you are. Good luck – keep watching!

Hedgehog