Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

I thought the same about cucumber slices, it would be like opening a restaurant for slugs.

Patch may well be one of last year’s babies, another darker one who appears to fancy her is I’m sure as he’s quite small. Roughly 3 seem to be consistently visiting, I’ve started using the camera just to watch live til around 12.30 to see what’s what as it’s been such a pain in the bum otherwise. You made me laugh with your description of how your camera gives you shots of more or less before & after any actual interesting footage!

Being a late hoglet sounds a bit dodgy doesn’t it all things considered. It’s so hot it must be very dangerous weather for so many animals, not least hogs as never see water in anybody’s wildernesses (aka gardens – pity no flowers in them just overgrown grass) round here. Bet there’s plenty of bugs for hogs to eat in the untended gardens just water is so important. Love watching them drinking, it can go on for minutes can’t it.

Not putting mealworms out at all now as no idea what other food they’re getting elsewhere & don’t want to contribute to their problems. They seem happy with cat food & somebody eats the hedgehog biscuits most nights. One of the hogs trots in to feed, doesn’t always have a drink afterwards (Patch does without fail every time) & often just goes still with its body to the ground. Then it stands up & trots off. Don’t know if I should be worrying about it or not & if so how on earth to catch it as it takes off at a pace into the dark of the garden when it moves.

Watched a very tiny mouse last night taking a biscuit, like a carrier bag full to him!

The program last night on hogs with Brian May & Anne at SaveMe was interesting but I thought they could have said more about feeding them & also suggestions on how to do it to keep other animals off the food. Very little was said at all about food considering it was meant to show you how to encourage them to your garden. Loved it though, so nice to see Brian with the little hoglet & Anne & Elaine are amazing. Did you see it?

Have just bought 2 shallow dishes from Wilkinsons for the food & water as easier for them being so low slung. They call them cat saucers, they’re brown ceramic & are just a shallow cat dish really £2 each & perfect for hogs. Nice & heavy too.

Hope all is well with your hoggy friends & you & they are keeping as cool as possible in this scarily hot stuff.

Hedgehog