Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

You make me a bit green with envy talking about all your hogs, down to just the one here I think & 1 or 2 nights seem to be none at all. The way one of our cats behaves I think they’re in the garden but must be plenty of food there for them so they don’t bother much with what I put out. Then they’ll surprise me & eat the lot.

Have watched the camera as late as I can but by midnight am falling asleep so if they come then I don’t see them. Blinking camera, wish it worked properly & I could sleep & then spend time going through footage.

Decided to try the cucumber thing for a laugh, sliced some up & put a trail towards the border & another line further from the hog dish. All gone by morning & funnily enough less slug mess in the hog dish. Coincidence probably, seems too silly that it would work!

I think marking hogs is something only a person who is more interested in their sightings than in the welfare of the animal would do. So many reasons why it’s a bad idea, not least because it could make them easier to see by dogs or anybody who isn’t a fan of wildlife. They have their own colours already which help them disappear into foliage & shadows & painting or marking them is very irresponsible.

Love the story about Mottle & the boys, wish I had that sort of action here. Watching the camera now & hope to see some interesting hogs before I go to sleep.

Hedgehog