Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings First time hedgehog. Reply To: First time hedgehog.

Nic

Hi Pink Star

Really pleased for you that you have a hedgehog in your garden. As you say, better than TV.

I think you can only load a picture onto the forum if it is already somewhere else on the internet. Then I think you just put the link on. You can load photos onto the gallery, though, from your computer, etc. but it sometimes takes a while for them to appear. The other way, is to put a photo on your profile, which will appear almost immediately and you can change this later if you wish to.

I notice that you mention mealworms – and hedgehogs do love them, but we are now learning that they are not very good for them. I would recommend that you look at the post at https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/important-please-read-upsetting-a-post-from-caroline-vale-see-earlier-post/
on this forum and follow the link. It shows a video with a vet explaining why mealworms (but this also applies to sunflower hearts and peanuts) are not good for hogs because of the ratio of phosphorous to calcium. Please help spread the word and feed the hogs either hedgehog food (there are many varieties around these days) or cat/dog food. This is especially important at this time of year when there are hoglets beginning to appear and feed themselves. They are prone to becoming addicted to mealworms and probably even more at risk from eating them.

Good luck with the hedgehog there and your hog haven. If there is one hedgehog visiting, there may well be others around as well.

Hedgehog