Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

Congratulations on the hoglet! Reading your previous email I see I have a long way to go to catch up with your hog experiences, how lovely you’ve been able to observe them for so long.

As the days go by there’s less sign of any hog activity as far as the food I put out goes. I’ve been putting it out but not seeing anybody & some nights it appears nobody has eaten anything (apart from slugs who have a go every night), I hope you’re right about the garden providing natural food for them. It’s absolutely chock a block with flowers of one sort or another, the best it’s been since I moved here 9 & a half years ago when it was just a mess of overgrown borders & weeds. There are hardly any gaps between the plants but plenty of room for hogs to get around. The water looks messy in the morning so think they’re still drinking from it even if not too bothered with my food. Nobody on camera when I’ve managed to get it going for a few hours after I go to bed.

I’d like to get a battery powered camera for the gate as it’s too far from the house for a cable, which one did you buy as everything I see on line has bad reviews & I’m stuck for what to buy.

My pigeon pal is still visiting, grown into a splendid young bird with beautiful healthy red feet & legs unlike the poor specimens I see in town with bumblefoot & looking very bedraggled in comparison. He/she is still very fond of me!

Dozens of sparrows at the feeder with babies who are also growing up fast & invasions from starlings still disturbing the peace most days. Such an argumentative bird & so noisy!

Look forward to more news of your hog visitors & hope to see one or two here again one day soon.

Hedgehog