Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings and 1 makes 5 Reply To: and 1 makes 5

Hello – I’m a newbie and this is my first post. I was researching on the internet and asked just how many hedgehogs would be considered normal to visit our garden – that lead me to this site and here I am. Well – I have seven regular visitors. I can recognise them pretty much with no need to mark them in any way – I would never do that! I have two babies which are growing quite fast. Three intermediate sized ones and two full grown adults which I think are male and female. There were five of them out there the other night – three on the patio and the two youngsters at the feeding dish just outside the patio windows. We have been feeding them on chopped up peanuts, sunflower hearts, chopped up dog treats and dried mealworms. We also leave out three water bowls dotted around. They appear to adore the mealworms. We have an organic garden so they can feed on slugs safely. The regular routine seems to be – gorge on the food we have left out for them. Have a good long drink of water and then separate out to go foraging around the garden for about three quarters of an hour and then back for some more easy food! First visitor usually comes soon after nine and we watch them until it is too dark for us to see them. We are considering getting an outside camera to record their activities.

Hedgehog