Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Mutant Rampaging Hedgehogs! Reply To: Mutant Rampaging Hedgehogs!

Nic

Hi Penny

Oh dear! that collision with the birdbath bird looked as if it could have been painful. Poor hog! I see the hogs are refusing to roll up. I seem to be going through a spell with fewer boys visiting at the moment, so not as much aggression. The Boss hog seems to be doing a fair bit of patrolling but, perhaps all the girls are less interesting at the moment. I am amazed he is still boss hog – this must be the third year.

It’s so sad when people block the nesting holes. The birds don’t do any harm. I seem to have had a bumper year for starlings this year. Some were nesting in my roof, but there seem to be about 4 families, with 4 youngsters each. Quite a crowd when they all descend at once on the bird tables.

I sometimes wonder what I am going to do with all the hawthorn seedlings too. Might end up with a complete thicket! – my garden isn’t that big. But hawthorns can make lovely trees, although I will have to keep mine as bushes. I also seem to get a fair few dogwood seedlings as well.

Glad to hear you have some hoglets there now. Now the ones here are growing a bit, I am beginning to wonder whether there are actually 4. I have seen three at the same time, but their markings are beginning to be a bit different from each other now, so they’re getting easier to tell apart.

I have seen the hog who used to come through the building site garden the last few nights, which is a relief, but no work has been done there for about a week. At least she wasn’t buried under the last lot of cement which was poured in. I will be glad when the building work is over and things can settle down for the hogs again.

Have had a bit of a disaster with all my hog videos and photos – stupidly mostly on one USB flash drive and now it is refusing to let me access it/them and tells me it needs formatting. Of course, if I do that everything will be wiped off – about 30 GB. It was meant to be my task for the winter to pick out the best bits. I suppose the only consolation is that it isn’t a load of irreplaceable family photos potentially lost, and I have seen them all and recorded the comings and goings. I have tried different USB ports and a different computer, but no luck. Not giving up quite yet, so if you have any ideas?

Talking about cams, etc. one of my cams has picked up bats a few times, which is really interesting – luckily not on the misbehaving flash drive. To start with I thought I was seeing really big moths, but more recently I have been able to see the wings better and the ears and even one catching a moth. That cam is near a buddleia, so loads of moths around for them to eat. An unexpected bonus.

Hedgehog