Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Shock in the night with Hedgehog and Badger (hedgie okay) Reply To: Shock in the night with Hedgehog and Badger (hedgie okay)

Opposite us there’s a green area that is surrounded by more gardens, several of the hogs come across that area to get over here. We have a sign in our garden saying beware hedgehogs crossing here to alert people in the street that didn’t know there were hedgehogs around, hopefully to stop them being run over by cars. In our neighbourhood several have been run over this year on the main road which is a couple of streets away. 24 years ago we used to feed a larger number of hogs when we lived at the other side of the village. We moved here and took the decision not to feed them given we felt there are more roads around. The hogs found us fairly recently by the residual bird food from our feeders and it snowballed from there. Many many years ago when I lived at home as a child, my Mum rescued hedgehogs and other injured wildlife. We saved and treated quite a few, between herself and the local vet and hog rehabilitation lady that used to be in our area. Once we found out we had hogs again we had to start to feed them to give them a chance, we have babies in the area now and we have quite a few hogs, several trays of food are eaten every night. They especially like spikes dry amongst their dinner, not so seen on spikes semi dry. They are such wonderful little creatures that need all the help everyone can give them. Every year I also alert as many people as I can to check bonfires for hogs too. We are about to ask the council if they will consider putting up a hedgehog sign on the main road near us too.

Hedgehog