Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Shock in the night with Hedgehog and Badger (hedgie okay) Reply To: Shock in the night with Hedgehog and Badger (hedgie okay)

Hi Snufflewoofs,

Thank goodness you managed to save that poor hog, sounds like you intervened just in time. Before we realised that we had hedgehogs, there had been a couple of occasions where there was awful screeching in the night and just assumed that it was cats fighting; I do wonder now if it was hedgehogs under attack. The garden is badger proof, but I have seen a few killed on the roads nearby so it’s always a worry.

I would be interested to hear what your local council have to say about a hedgehog sign. I know that some people have campaigned successfully for them, but our council, although sympathetic, said that they were unable to help. Apparently, there are no hedgehog signs available in the Department for Transport list for them to use. I wrote to the minister for transport Chris Grayling, asking for one to be put on the list, but he said that because hedgehogs didn’t pose a hazard to motorists, there were no plans to make one available. I don’t recall any incidents involving armed mobs of ducks, frogs and toads assaulting motorists, but they have their own Department for Transport signs!

Good luck. 🙂

Hedgehog