Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehogs galore Reply To: Hedgehogs galore

Nic

Hi James

It is sometimes difficult to know what to do with all the video, isn’t it. I just lost about 30Gb of video and overnight photos – a flash drive went wrong and kept saying it needed formatting. After trying various things, I gave up and formatted it. I don’t suppose it will be long before I have more than enough to cope with again anyway! It almost felt slightly liberating.

What you call the ‘hog jive’ sounds suspiciously like the female at the beginning of the circling courtship ‘dance’, but the male doesn’t always start the circling – especially at this time of year. She normally jiggles around a bit, and tends to back away from the male slightly (possibly inviting him to start circling(?)) There are sometimes hoglets born quite late, so there could still be mating now. There are hogs here who are still doing the courtship circling, but whether it comes to anything is another matter. I sometimes wonder if we may inadvertently be encouraging late hoglets, not only by the feeding, but also by the rescuing of late hoglets, which may then produce late hoglets themselves (because they mature later) perpetuating the cycle.

Hedgehog