Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Feeding amounts Reply To: Feeding amounts

Well said Stef, glad that you are back.

Sorry to bang on about the mealworms again, but there is another reason why I think we should all be cautious about feeding them. Mealwormer, AKA Tony mentions how cheap they are to buy at Home Bargins. Well, there is a reason why they are so cheap; large commercial producers feed them on ‘juvenile’ hormones to keep them in their larval stage for longer so that they can grow larger (around 2cm or more) before they pupate into an adult beetle. Mealworms reared naturally are much smaller. I am no expert, but it all sounds a bit ‘Frankenstein’ to me.

Hedgehog