Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Feeding amounts Reply To: Feeding amounts

Hi all, and WOW!

I didn’t mean to start an on line flaming war. Just asking for advice. Hope I didn’t start anything that can’t be stopped ๐Ÿ™‚

As I have never given my new friend any mealworms, I will just stick with the dry biscuits and occasion wet cat food.

Update on him/her’s progress – as Nic did mention, I can now set my clock as to when he turns up, just after 9pm, dark enough in the garden and have now stopped looking for him first, and just stop and listen. I can hear him/her first and can figure out where he is by the crunching. Maybe me just being sentimental, but sure he comes closer to the door with a look that says “enough now with the camera, where’s the grub?” Still timid and I make a point of not getting too close, but he he/she is getting better. Noticed there is only the one now, not two as I originally had, but in line with what I have learned on here, I.e. They must have been young when in a pair and have now gone their separate ways. Either that or they just take it in turns to come and eat me out of house and home.

Couple more questions (without the need for Kofi Annan if possible ๐Ÿ™‚ but I am heading away on holiday in a couple of weeks. Do I need to keep the frequency of feeding? I don’t want to provide a food source this close to hibernation to take it away and then try and reintroduce. I have a friend who (although thinks I am a crack pot) is prepared to come and change the water and food whilst I am away. Is this needed or would they be happy without. If it is the same hog, then he is here every night so don’t want to disappoint!

Thanks again for all the advice, and I do believe we are all looking out for our little friends!

Cheers all and best regards

Paul

Hedgehog