Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Weather Watchers Reply To: Weather Watchers

Hi again everyone,

To continue the story from yesterday. Last night we had only 2 video visits from our hedgies. There seems to be a pattern appearing of either a large feeding frenzy every other day or every two days. I must stress that the property I live in has no walls only country side hedgerows. To the front of the house it is open fronted onto the lane. All sorts of animals wander onto our very large front, rear and side gardens. We get badgers, foxes, muntjaks, feral cats, stray dogs, rats as well as hedgehogs. We have put our hedgie stuff to the rear of the house in a secluded spot where the hedgies tend not to be disturbed. The food is out by dusk and no lights are on. Just my camera hidden away. I cannot understand why they are not all coming on a regular basis. We know we have at least four different hedgies eating at the feeding station. Our neighbours are a fair distance from us both directions, so its’ not as though they could be going to them. I do realise they can travel a fair distance at night. The lane is quite quiet so I know there is next to no road kill. Am I being frustrated to soon at the lack of visits we are getting to the feeding station. Also I find my video camera has a time lapse on taking the video. It is only 0.5 of a second but it is enough to miss an animal travelling at pace. It also only runs for 10 seconds with a minute time lag between videos. Possibly I am missing a lot in these gaps. Does anyone have a recommendation for a better video night camera than a Digital Trail Camera.
The other thing I cannot find out is when does mating happen in the Autumn
time. We have not seen any hoglets from the Jun/July period feeding at our feeding station. Are they currently bedding down now for new arrivals later. What does a pregnant hedgie look like? They all appear to be the same shape and size? We have horses in the fields around us and you can tell when the mares’ are pregnant. Can anybody help me with the questions above?

Hedgehog