Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Broken-legged hedgehog Reply To: Broken-legged hedgehog

Hi Penny, thank for your support. I stayed up til 3am last night! The good news is that I managed to capture the recently released hog – as her markings made her easy to identify and she came at a reasonable hour. The bad news is that the badly injured hog still evaded me. I think it has got wise and at the first sign of movement it scarpers – which on the positive side, at least it is still able to do! I gave up at 3 and, as you predicted, the camera showed it was there at 3.06!! Typical. I took the one I had to the vet. She has a broken femur – looks like a bite. She’s got antibiotics and pain killers and leg in a splint. Luckily I don’t think she has had the injury for that long. My fear for the other hog is that after three weeks the bone is likely to be infected. My worry now is what is it that is biting them? They were small puncture wounds – cat? small dog? The foxes I see on the camera appear to ignore the hedgehogs – I’ve seen them feeding alongside each other. Top of my suspect list is the yappy dog at the end of my garden which I hear barking after dark, as if it has spotted something in the garden. Dare I ‘politely’ ask my neighbours if they have had any injured hedgehogs in their garden?!

Hedgehog