Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Shock in the night with Hedgehog and Badger (hedgie okay) Reply To: Shock in the night with Hedgehog and Badger (hedgie okay)

Hi Nic,

Thank you so much for your kind words as they really do help. So sorry to hear about the loss of 2 of your visitors as well. It must have been tough especially as they were both non-natural like you say. So frustrating! 🙁

I read your reply with great interest and I certainly agree with the majority of it. When you think about it, us humans are pretty retched. The amount of natural habitat we have lost in the past 50 years is a national scandal. If this is not addressed soon there will be no natural world left for future generations to enjoy. Most governments are scared to address the root cause of this but I am not going to get political here.

Unfortunately like you say nature can be so cruel but it’s all part and parcel of the circle of life. The thing is I cannot just ignore those screams so will continue to run out in my PJ’s like a mad thing and chase the badgers off.

Another quick point is that the badger population has grown by 88% since the 1980’s and the hedgehog population has continued to plummet. I know a lot of this is to do with urban development but the rising badger population must be having an impact. We humans are once again creating imbalances in nature where there are winner and losers. Unfortunately it looks like the hedgehog is going to be a loser although I dearly hope not.

All the best.

Hedgehog