Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Slugs eating food! Reply To: Slugs eating food!

Thanks Nic for your info regarding the risks from mealworms and sunflower hearts and i will take heed. We have a mum and at least two hoglets plus another hoglet from a rehab centre that couldn’t be re-homed and all are doing well. Whether mum is pregnant or has a 2nd litter in a nest we’ll wait and see. With regards feeding i don’t offer enough that they are dependant on it, its more of a treat really. They prefer our windfall plums and we have a large border covered in wood chips which is alive with beetles and worms which they forage on plus the lawn, that said i will get them off mealworms all together. I would prefer to feed cat meat as it has some moisture in it but then we get a cat problem. I also understand that hedgehogs are prone to worms have you any experience with feeding occasional pumpkin seeds as a natural wormer. I read about it for cats but no-one mentions it in hedgehogs. it would be interesting to see if a rehab centre would try it to see if it works.
I have offered occasional pumpkin seeds to ours and they do like them and it could be a healthier alternative than drugs

Hedgehog