Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Small hedgehog feeding in my garden Reply To: Small hedgehog feeding in my garden

Nic

Hi Baldwin hedghog

I can see where you and they are coming from, but I’m stilll not completely convinced it is a reliable indicator in the wild. Although, I had thought you were talking about the poos being bigger and not just longer. I think I have read something similar somewhere, but, not sure you can always equate what happens in the wild to what happens in captivity. In the wild, they wouldn’t necessarily have food right on their doorstep, be in a safe space, etc. Also there are other hogs around, to potentially confuse the picture. However, always open to new evidence. There is still so much to learn about wild hedgehogs, much of which I suspect we will never know for sure. Perhaps that is part of their attraction – that they retain an element of mystery.

Whether you are anticipating them or not, I always think the first sighting of a new hoglet arriving at the feeding area is magical.

Hedgehog