Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog What can I feed visiting wild hedgehogs (that is good for them?). Reply To: What can I feed visiting wild hedgehogs (that is good for them?).

Hi chellybobs,

The problem with mealworms has only recently come to light and I would like to bet that most of us are guilty of feeding too many at one time or another. I wouldn’t worry too much, like Lynda says they can be weaned off them, it’s just a matter of finding something else that they like. Ours love Purina One kitten biscuits and wouldn’t touch the Ark wildlife ones, but I know that tastes vary across the country and from one year to the next! I would be inclined just to sprinkle half a dozen mealworms on top of whatever you choose to replace them with as a garnish, rather than cut them out completely for now.

I like your choice of name, we also have a Brenda, but ours is the size of a tank….too many Purina One biscuits! 🙂

Hedgehog