Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Small hedgehog feeding in my garden Reply To: Small hedgehog feeding in my garden

Nic

Hi leafy321 and jpscloud

I agree with you both about ivy. I know a tree which was originally a hawthorn but now is more of an ivy tree. The stems of the ivy look like the trunk of the tree they are so wide. Although, this particular one is not, strictly, all that useful for hedgehogs, it is brilliant for all sorts of wildlife. Absolutely buzzes with bees, mostly solitary, when the flowers are out. Despite the ivy being so large, the hawthorn is still alive and peaks through in various places, complete with berries (for the birds) in season. It has certainly not been strangled by the ivy (which is what some people fear). The ivy is helping to support it. It also provides a very good canopy for sheep or other animals to shelter from the sun underneath. It has already provided very many years of food and support for wildlife and hopefully will have many more.

I realise not everyone would want an ivy tree so large – this one is in a wildlife friendly field, and certainly wouldn’t fit easily into my garden – but as you say, it is easy to keep ivy trimmed back in rotation. I am lucky that, being near a railway line, there is a fair amount of mature ivy here too, which, from what you say, may be why I see holly blues in my garden from time to time.

Hedgehog