Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Defending Hog House and Food Supply Reply To: Defending Hog House and Food Supply

Nic

Hi Hogmeister

Are you sure that both the hogs are males, because what you are describing – the hog puffing and snorting and going backwards – sounds more like a female to me. I have never seen a male attacking a female here before, but if it was a fairly immature female, she may have been a bit timid and have thought she was going to be attacked and rolled up to avoid it. Or he could have been confused by her scent and been a bit over bumptious. The rest of HIS behaviour (in your recent description) sounds like a male thinking of making advances to a female. They often go up to them and almost turn their heads a bit sideways. This sometimes then develops into a courtship ‘dance’. This could also explain why he waited for the other hog to appear, but the fact it did not proceed MAY, perhaps, have indicated she was a fairly young female. Or, I sometimes think they must be able to tell when a female is pregnant or, perhaps even nursing but that is only me wondering.

Re. the nesting. It certainly sounds promising for hibernation, but I have never (knowingly) had a hog hibernate in my garden. You are very lucky he’s nesting in your hog box at all and fingers crossed for a safe hibernation. Interesting that it is so near the feeding area. Have you joined in the hog house survey?

Hedgehog