Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Shock in the night with Hedgehog and Badger (hedgie okay) Reply To: Shock in the night with Hedgehog and Badger (hedgie okay)

Nic

Hi all

It was very quiet here last night – only 3 hogs, whilst I was up to see them – haven’t looked at the cam yet (it is still going crazy and so more of a daunting prospect than normal!) Mind you, it was horribly windy and wet. It is easy to forget what happened other years, but when I checked back to this time last year, I see there weren’t many adult hogs around then either. The difference, and it is very marked, is the lack of hoglets, who were swelling the numbers last year. I wonder whether some of the boys have actually started hibernating already. They normally come back from hibernation about 2 months earlier than the girls, here, so it wouldn’t seem so strange. Apart from one regular and the occasional visit from one other, they were all missing in September last year too. The one who is still here is the same one as last year.

The trouble with the trap, Penny, (which is also often in the back of my mind, too) is that now there has been such a time delay, the ‘horse’ has already ‘bolted’. There must be so many more of them out there now. Very unfortunate.

Hedgehog