Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Weather Watchers Reply To: Weather Watchers

Hi again Nic,
Yes getting on well with the book. The hedgies seem to be very active at
present. I have now close on 400 videos so far this month. Reference the
weather. I read that hedgies dislike wind more than rain. Last night which
had Storm Aileen blowing at 70mph at Avonmouth it did not seem to discourage the hedgies too much. We can see the River Avon from here,
and I spent much of first thing this morning up-righting plants and plant
pots. They attend the garden here come wind or rain. However we do notice every couple of days a reduction in the numbers attending and the amount of time spent out feeding. They are usually with us until 0500 or thereabouts from about 2100. I am waiting to see how they fare over the next few weeks
as it starts to get colder. I would expect they will attend more often with the
prospect of Winter around the corner. I do hope you are right about young
hedgehogs. I have not seen a young hedgehog family since my mothers’ golden retriever accidentally dug one up at the old house in Manchester. The hedgies home was a small scrape in the earth beneath a load of leaves under thick brambles. It certainly was a sight to see with her small brood. The dog was so excited with what she had found. Fortunately we were there
at the time to ensure the hedgies escaped to safety.

Hedgehog