Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Pooh Characteristics Reply To: Pooh Characteristics

Hi Nic,
I understand what you are saying, and take note. I agree that at this time
of the year there should be no decrease in food. The food we put out for the hedgies is regulated so they are not overfed. The hedgies here are more
than likely only using our feeding stations. We are too far from our other neighbours, and 500 yards away, along one side is the barrier of the M5 motorway. Have you any suggestions for a change of food? We have a cat and a dog, so could some of their food be given as a supplement? Just a little worried that the passing rats, foxes or cats etc, would smell it and get to it before the hedgies. So far we have had no trouble from the badger set about quarter of a mile away, but we are wary that such food could start to attract them. We certainly do not want the hedgies enemy coming to our doorstep. We know for a fact that the hedgies go around the front of the house. They forage for the food that the birds have dropped from the feeders. Infact one hedgie in particular, we call “Surrey” because of her fringe, likes to partake of water at the outside dog bowl at the back door. We some times find her there on the coir matting outside snuffling about down the sides of it. Looking for grubs etc. We assume she is not interested in the fish pond in the same location. Though I do occasionally drop the odd fish pellet. The pond is too high and steep for her to climb into. We also think that because of the amount of water there is in this location she is attracted by the smell of it. Bit of a dilemma really as I don’t want them to become self reliant on the food we put out. However at the same time I would not have them go without. Problem?

Hedgehog