Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Weight and rescue question please Reply To: Weight and rescue question please

hi similar question really i got a hog tonight which weighs 350g. It seems healthy enough and eating but im thinking it may struggle to get upto weight in time especially if we get a cold spell.I am Just looking for someone to agree with me really (or advise otherwise) as im thinking i should fatten him up in an old guinea pig cage in my spare bedroom and then look to overwinter him if needed or ideally i can release him into one of my hedgehog houses in my garden assuming the weather is mild enough and he has got upto a decent weight in time. I could then keep offering food and water in my feeding station once released.

Alternatively i could take him to my local animal rescue but hopefully i could do it all myself.

I have looked after and fattened up a couple of hogs in the past and also taken a couple of injured hogs to my local rescue in the past but they were bigger and it was later in the year so this is a little different to what i have dealt with in the past.

Any advise would be welcomed thanks

Hedgehog