Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Weather Watchers Reply To: Weather Watchers

Hi Everyone,
Yes my hedgies are definitely weather watching. The last two nights the sky has been fairly clear and the mornings now have a chill in them. Our visitors are getting less. Last night we only had two, who barged for position at times. However with the nights drawing in they were there at 2000 hours and up until 0555 hours. The previous night we had three at varying times but again they only came singularly to the table but took advantage of an early start. Then the mist hid them for an hour or two before clearing for them to come back to feed up to 0600 hours. They are visiting the hedgies house to get the food and water as well as the feeders on the lawn. They are making a mess of the paper inside and I assume one of them intends to winter in there. Once the hedge and foliage have died back I will re position the house with logs etc, so if they so wish, it can be a nesting box or winter harbour. The house is insulated with foam so they would find it warmer than normal. The outside also has a green foam adhered to it so it camouflages very well. The top is hinged so I can access it without disturbing the occupants when I replenish the food and water. Just got to try and keep the rat family out of it. No doubt as it carries on getting colder the visits will get even less. Up to now this month over 550 videos outstripping what we had for August.

Hedgehog