Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared Reply To: Our little hog friend of last year hasn't reappeared

Hi Nic

Good old Digger, maybe she’s ensuring she gets as fat as possible for winter & is determined to see off everybody else to that end!

Just read Annie’s piece about her cat kennel, sensible hogs using them probably more places than anybody realises.

Pete has turned up with a true baby pigeon, even younger than him. It’s still got the knobbly baby beak & hasn’t much idea about anything except flapping its wings & squealing in a high voice to be fed. Having shown it the food Pete doesn’t seem to think it needs to be fed & leaves it to stuff its little face. It was sat in the pouring rain on the fence today, completely soaked & miserable so I kept putting food out to keep it warm til Frank turned up & it flew away.

Wondering about growing a small patch of grass for hogs for next year as they like yours so much & guess there would be plenty of bugs in there for them to eat. Don’t mind if they don’t eat my food, prefer them to be using my garden in a natural way & not actually relying on me for food – which they certainly aren’t since they all disappeared this year.

Few years ago I was eating my breakfast very early morning & looked out the back & there was a baby wild rabbit in the border. Frank spotted it & took off but it disappeared long before he got there. Never seen it before or since, or any adults either.

Splendid sparrowhawk out there last week but luckily for the little birds (but unluckily for him) everybody saw him coming & escaped.

Hedgehog