Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Weather Watchers Reply To: Weather Watchers

Hi Nic,
You could be right about the hedgies already going into hibernation. Recently the sightings here are getting less. The beginning of the month we had four or more regularly attending the feeding station. The last two nights we have seen one or two at the most. The visits are getting later with the first sighting at 0925 hours last night and finished by 0235 hours. So not only are there less of them around they are also not out all night. The duration between stops at the feeding station from the one visitor we had last night were longer. A total of only seven videos last night. The weather though was pretty wet last night, so we will see if we get more if its’ a dry night. The foliage of the hedgerow has decreased a lot and the farmer will be here soon to flail the hedge for winter. I will then move the hedgehog house back deeper into the hedge and put wood insulation around it. With the leaves now falling from the trees I shall collect some and dry them out. Mosses and other things like paper will go inside the house to provide nesting material. The inside of the house already has foam insulation to the roof and more foam insulation to the outside on the walls, floor and ceiling. The outside feeders will be moved closer to the doorway, so if the hedgie does awake in need of food it will be near. We shall check on the food and water daily and replenish it if necessary. This will save me looking into the house through the roof to see if the hedgie is ok, and waking it up. I have actually got a new camera which will fit into the corner of the hedgie house. This will give us access to the animal without disturbing it. Cannot wait to see if the house will be used.

Hedgehog