Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog House Reply To: Hedgehog House

Nic

Hi Annig

If you want more hog houses, I would try them out as far apart as your garden allows, or where you have suitable sites. We don’t really know how close together is best. Hedgehog Street have been doing a survey, but as far as I know they don’t have results yet. Just be aware that the hogs may decide not to use them. You are lucky they are using the hog house you have – they sometimes prefer to make a completely new nest for themselves, such as under a shed, as Baldwin hedgehog suggests. Just depends how much money you want to spend.

The thing which occurred to me is, if the hoglets are still with their Mother, you may need to keep an eye out for them to make sure they make the minimum weight needed to survive hibernation (450g). Although, if you are feeding them (not mealworms or sunflower hearts) and the weather stays reasonably mild they should have a bit more time yet, to put on a bit of weight.

http://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/pdf/Hibernation-Weight.pdf

Hedgehog